doorway of the hut, they would all be in front of me. I got up slowly, moseyed toward the entrance, and sort of stooped over sideways by the doorway. I then took a firebrand and sort of flashed it behind me to make sure that there was no one in back of the hut. That put them all in front of me, so I was sort of temporarily in command. We sat there from about 8:00 until 10:00 pm. I threatened them with the Fifth Air Force, saying, "Aeroplanes will come and boom-boom the hell out of your village". That didn't seem to bother them, although they did shrink down a little and repeated, "Boom-boom" !

Then I thought Id try a little religion, thinking the missionaries might have touched them. Since I was convinced they were going to kill me, I didn't see any reason not to be frank about it. So I said, "God wouldn't want you to kill me”. Apparently, Aidee had been out to the coast and muttered something that sounded like "Lord”. But, after I had gotten all through, Aidee said, "No savvy talk”. I answered, "You savvy this gun don't you?" and shook it right in his face. By this time, I had taken out the gun and spotted it down across my right thigh. I sat there for over an hour with my gun trained on Aidee. I snapped the safety on and off-click, click-for an hour. But this guy was as cool as a cucumber. Meanwhile, his team-mates were getting a little anxious. The headman got up and sort of stretched, as if to show that he was tired. Then, he started walking toward me, indicating that he wanted to go behind me into the room. It was pretty obvious that if he went back there, I would have two fronts to cover. He got real close to me, and motioned that he wanted to go there. I swung the gun and I shouted, "Sit down!" Well, he withered right down beside me, frightened. This had gone on for almost two hours. I was thinking, "I'm in command. If I could just get them in close, in sort of a semicircle, they won't shoot through their own people”. I didn't know how I was going to get out of the hut, but I didn't want them to shoot me before I did. The headman played right into my hand. He crouched down beside me, which made Grinny unhappy. I thought that Grinny was showing some fear, so I reached out with my left hand and motioned for him to come in a little closer to shield me on the right. But, before he did, he looked at Aidee. Aidee, who was sitting right in the middle, sort of head on, blinked his eyes. I think that meant, "Yeah, go ahead and humour him, move”. Grinny moved a little closer, but he kept looking over his shoulder. He was sort of a sassy little guy. I didn't like the way he grinned. So, with the gun in my right hand, I grabbed him by the shoulder with my left. I sort of yanked him, and the poor guy probably thought I was going to shoot him in the back, because he was really scared. In my discussion with the natives, I had established a sort of priority list of how I was going to take care of them. They all understood "number one”. I said, "Aidee, I get you number one. Grinny, I get you number two. Head man, I get you number three”. I didn't go to number four because I didn't think it would last that long, really. Then I waved the gun and described what the .45 would do to them. It all sounded rather grim, but I had to keep talking to try to make the point. Aidee was the only one who had not shown a bit of fear, but his team had not shown much initiative. So, I motioned for Aidee to squat down in front of me. He came close enough for me to touch him with my left hand. I said, "Come in a little closer”. He sort of jumped up and came down in the same spot. "No, closer," I said. When I reached out a little farther and leaned out, he must have thought that I was off balance.

Suddenly, Aidee came out of his crouching position and lunged at me, like a tiger. He threw me against the wall, but I came to my feet naturally. I had the gun in my right hand, but he grabbed both my wrists and pinned me back briefly. Somehow I forced the gun down and shot him from a distance of about six inches right through the chest. The shot blasted him clear across the room. Next, the headman came in at me from the left and went after both of my wrists. He got my left wrist and grappled for my right. But I pulled my gun back and shot him from my left side-wham! It was practically over. I still remember it as if it were yesterday. I can picture the dull glow from the fire, my gun smoking, and me standing in a crouched position, like in Custer's Last Stand. Now, I thought they would come at me in waves. But they didn't. Instead, they ran off like a bunch of scalded dogs and left me alone. The headman staggered outside and fell to the ground. Realising that I was the only one in the hut, I ran out to the left as fast as I could. I cut back and made an end run, like in football. I ran full tilt, to the left and then back to the center, and then I tripped in the tall grass. This probably saved my life, because if I had not fallen, I would have still been running. I went down into a little depression where the land dropped off. Back at the village, the natives had lit torches and started screaming and shouting. I could hear them from all of the neighbouring villages. I seemed to be surrounded by these voices, or war whooping. Now the torches were lit, and they started to come up the hill. After they had found the two men I had shot, they beat on the ground and wailed, sobbed, and shouted for about an hour. It was terrible to just lie there. I lay on one arm, with my right hand on the gun; in my left hand I had a clip of six bullets. Although I am usually optimistic, I couldn't see how I would possibly get out of there alive. As I had when the panic struck me, I prayed again, saying the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary, which ends, "Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death”. Suddenly, it hit me that the phrase had become one and the

Continue to Page 9